-->

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

EMPRESS OF THE EVENING

I see the Riverside Theatre is running the live musical A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM again. I recall the 1st time it played in 1999. My father and I had just moved to Vero Beach only months before.

We were in the habit of going to 1 movie a year and 1 live musical. After we moved, my father intended to give up both. I couldn't understand. He had recovered well from his triple-bypass. But Vero Beach was slightly more expense than Stuart.

I almost needed a blowtorch to his butt to get him to go out! It was as if he just wanted to settle-in and wait to die. Well, the universe paying attention. Two years later, the shadowy angel of death came to take him.

But this was nearly spring of 1999 and the above musical was being performed. I really wanted to see it! I was a fledgling driver still dealing with severe anxiety attacks behind the wheel. -- To this day I refuse to drive after dark! If there was a matinee, the theatre seemed as far away as Mars. Taxi cabs are too expensive. I had zero income.

I read in the newspaper that on the evening of the 1st day of spring anyone wearing a toga would be admitted free!!! I showed my father the article and declared I would come up with togas for us both. He refused.

Determined, I told him that just I would wear a toga and he would only need to buy 1 ticket. Still, he refused! I cajoled, pleaded and nagged relentlessly until he capitulated.

Excitedly, I improvised an outfit. It wouldn't be just a simple toga. That goes against my nature. Anyone who knows me, knows that! I set out to create an elaborate costume.

I started with a long, plum-colored, Grecian-style gown I'd purchased from a second hand store. I pulled a gossamer curtain from the rag pile, draped it over one shoulder and pinned it together over my hip with a large golden shield pin.

In fact, I got out all of my gold tone jewelry. I had a metallic headband from the 80's. Big hoop earrings & bracelets, strands of chains, too and of course my elegant gold sandals. I wore my hair up, Roman style. By the time I finished, I had a costume better than most onstage! Heck! I looked authentic enough to be on SPARTACUS!

As we stepped inside the theatre, only a handful of people were sporting togas, mostly just bed-sheets wrapped around street clothes. My outfit kicked theirs out of the ball park! I felt regal.

My entire life, I had waited to dress like that in public!

No comments:

Post a Comment