-->

Sunday, January 29, 2012

GABE & GIN

My father planned to do the yard work at our new home as a hobby. However his heart attack and triple by-pass put an end to that idea. So he hired the previous owner's lawn crew, an older married couple called, "Gabe & Gin."

They made an incongruous pair in more ways than one. Gabe was lanky. Gin was short and round. He had an aura of arrogance. Gabe was sort of a poor man's philosopher and pundit. A know-it-all type. She was warm and compassionate, also more down-to-earth. She came across as the more intelligent of the two.

Gin told me that Gabe once held an impressive job, but lost it due to his drinking. Now he was a reformed alcoholic.

About a year before we put our Stuart house up for sale, Dad purchased an expensive lawn tractor. We barely knew Gabe & Gin. But he gave it to them as a gift. Of course they were overwhelmed! Even if they didn't use it, they could have sold the thing for a pretty penny. Which is exactly what my father should have done!

Our home needed painting and repairs which were ignored. My father didn't want to spend any more money on the house. When our refrigerator conked out, he bought a used one. -- It lasted only a short while!

I felt his generous gift had more to do with his ego than anything else. Thus they would bow down and become beholden to him. I'd seen him do this kind of thing before.

And they became very solicitous after his stroke. So his ploy worked.

A few months after the stroke, we were into another hurricane season. Previously we had been struck unprepared by a category 1 storm. This time, Dad told me not to worry. Because Gabe offered to board-up the house. Fortunately, there was no hurricane that year.

After my father's death, I mentioned the boarding to Gabe & Gin. -- I was informed that I needed to find someone else! Because they would be too busy with their own property.

My father was not a liar, nor did he suffer from auditory hallucinations. It was obvious to me that Gabe wanted to look like a stand-up guy to Dad, knowing full well that my father would likely be dead before he was called to task. I think he was reprehensible!

But I had a growing friendship with Gin, and tried get past it.

I hired Gabe to do some handy work around the house. Chores such as hanging a bathroom mirror and changing a light bulb at the top of my cathedral ceiling. In both cases, there were problems. He gave me attitude, and I ended up having to hire other people to finish the work.

Then one day as I left to catch a matinee, I noticed how crappy my yard looked. The grass was uneven and filled with weeds. I told myself not to obsess about it. It was their day, Gabe & Gin would take care of it.

Later when I returned home, my yard looked exactly the same! I assumed they had an emergency and didn't come.

Fast forward a week. Gin knocked on my door. "We sure missed seeing you last week," she exclaimed with a big smile.

"You mean you were actually here!" I said. "Did you do my lawn, my entire lawn?"

She nodded. I was incredulous.

I decided to watch them closely. They mowed, but my lawn appeared unchanged. I actually wondered if they were having problems with their vision! My patience ended.

Having a closer relationship with Gin, I approached her. Without raising my voice, I pointed to my neighbor's yard. His lawn crew had been there the day before. Yet his property looked neater, far better than mine. It was quite a contrast!

Gin said she'd take care of it.

Less than 5 minutes later, Gabe was knocking on my door. Calmly, he asked if he could come inside.

"Sure!" I chirped.

Big mistake!!! Once that door closed behind him, he let me have it!

He threw a fit! His eyes went wild! He got right down in my face and spat profanities! His spit was flying into my open mouth and my hair! -- I actually thought he might strike me!

"You have any problems with us," he shrieked, "You come to me! Gin is too tender-hearted. She can't handle problems!"

I told him I had spoken politely to Gin. He had no right to be this rude to me!

"That's just sugar-coated bitching! And I'm sick of it!" he replied.

So in other words, if I'm dissatisfied, I'm not allowed to say anything!!!

"And you have a white trash yard!" he snarled.

"Hey, you're my lawn man! What does that say about you!" I said.

"If you want you're property looking like John's Island (exclusive community) then you're going to have to pay John's Island prices!" he told me.

"My neighbor's have better kept yards! And I know they do not pay John's Island prices!" I pointed. "Just look next door!"

"That crew has kids and they don't know how to cut grass!" he hollered. "I'm a professional! I enjoy my job! And your ignorant, sugar-coated bitching is preventing me from doing that!" Again, he snarled down in my face with his scary, wild eyes!

We were alone! I truly felt threatened. I told him I had to leave right away! I had an appointment. I was shaken after he left.

Immediately I ran upstairs and wrote a check for the rest of the month, marked: FINAL PAYMENT. I enclosed a note informing him that I intended to hire someone who behaved more professionally.

Gin was my 1st friend after moving to Vero Beach. We had become quite close. I miss her friendship to this day. However, I couldn't allow either of them in my life again, after that day.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment