-->

Friday, December 9, 2011

GETTING CARDED X

I knew civilization was rapidly declining when people stopped mailing Christmas cards. Sure the electronic ones with their singing and dancing are cute. But I prefer the kind I can hold to admire.

Growing up it was not unusual to receive 60 cards in a season. Nowadays I average about 6! Usually I give around 20. A few, I hand deliver. The rest, I mail.

Many of the recepients thank me for my card, followed by an apology. Then an explanation that they're just too busy to send cards. A pity! Although I realize most have more hectic lives than I do. -- Hey that's what you get when you have a family! Here's an idea, put the damn kids to work on the cards!

I began mailing out my own Christmas cards while in my teens. Of course cards and postage were both cheap then. Also it was lots of fun! I used colored inks, plus a variety of holiday stickers.

Christmas cards were always special to me. As a child, I insisted upon opening all letters with cards. Then I would critique them. Back in the day, most were dazzling with lots of gold, silver, & colored glitter! They were too beautiful to toss. After Chrismas we kept them in boxes in the attic. Now most are so plain and unimaginative I have no problem deep-sixing them after the holidays.

I also delight in odd and funny cards, too. Awhile back, I sent ones with a crotchety Santa on the cover complaining about all the goody two-shoes, suck-up kids and swearing only to reward bad ones that year. Inside it read, "Looks like it's going to be your year!" That always brought a laugh!

Another featured a neon-red eyed tree frog in a Santa hat that a former neighbor swore gave her nightmares!

I once sent cards with a sleigh pulled by dinosaurs and a tyrannosaurus Rex dressed as Santa. Inside it read, "Have an old-fashioned Christmas!"

Lately, I've been sending Christmas cards with Barbie, including the usual type of Barbie comments. In one she declares, "Christmas is weird!" -- Right on Barbie, that's very true!

Not being religious in the conventional sense, I rarely send reverent cards for 2 reasons. 1... I have suspicions that Christ was actually an extraterrestrial. 2... The exact date of Christ's birth is unknown. -- Dec. 25 was a date commandeered from an ancient Roman holiday. A wildly pagan festival of debauchery called Saturnalia, rife with state-sanctioned rape, looting, naked singers, and human sacrifice! -- Just imagine the cards you could create for that event!

A popular singer/actress born on Dec. 25 used to celebrate with 2 birthday cakes. The extra was for the Christ child. Others found it touching. I thought it just showed her lack of education. I always wondered who ate the extra cake!

I have a relative I dearly love. The man is well-versed in the bible. He can quote any holy scripture. But when you try to talk to him on any other subject, the guy is dumb as dog poop. And worse, he's arrogant about his ignorance!

As a believer in reincarnation, I see God as more of a cosmic conciousness. Karma makes sense to me. However, I'm willing to admit I could be wrong! No one knows all the answers! Because no one has all the information. Not even the bible-thumpers, even if they think they do.

But I embrace the spirit of Christmas! Also I believe The Golden Rule and The Ten Commandments are perfect guidelines for life. They should be practiced year-round! Everyone backslides, now and then. Just be sure to take 2 leaps forward! And don't turn your holiday celebration into Saturnalia!...It's bad karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment