-->

Sunday, April 9, 2023

A FLORIDA EASTER

 

Ponce de Leon discovered Florida around Easter time when our spring flowers were in full colorful bloom. He called this "La Florida" the Land of Flowers. An aging Ponce searched in vain for the fabled Fountain of Youth rumored to be here. Sadly, he never found it and neither have I, nor anyone else.

My previous home (an hour's drive south of here) was overlooking the St. Lucie River. The river was a mile wide behind our home, plus we could see for long miles in each direction. Our view was jaw-dropping in its magnificence!

I read someplace that Ponce de Leon sailed up and down the St. Lucie River. Back then, this whole area was part of the old Spanish Main. How wonderful it would be to glimpse the past for just a few minutes!

Later, I'll be celebrating Easter with a dinner of coconut-crusted tilapia, Spanish rice, buttermilk biscuits with honey butter, deviled eggs made with lemon-dill aioli; & for dessert Florida's famous Key Lime pie; all to be washed down with strawberry-lemon tea.

As with nearly every other holiday I'll be dining at the formal table under the chandelier. But first, I'll enjoy movie from my DVR library. Today is special!


No comments:

Post a Comment