-->

Saturday, September 26, 2020

REFLECTING ON A PANDEMIC SUMMER

 

I'll admit I enjoyed the isolation and quiet especially after the shortages ended. My days were spent working on my latest novel a supernatural thriller and mystery. And nearly every evening was movie night! I was able to whittle down the collection in my DVR library as well as enjoy new films.

Unfortunately lurking outside remained that invisible King Kong sized gorilla called the coronavirus. Of course I wore my armor, (flimsy though it be) of a mask plus disposable gloves every time I ventured out. Plus hand sanitizer has always been standard equipment with me.

Before long, new monsters began rising up in the Atlantic one right after another. Cristobel, Hanna, Laura, Sally, Nana and many more all deceptively friendly sounding. I think hurricanes should have names like Igor, Vampira, Adolf, Lucretia, Vlad, etc. more in character with their nature.

My porch furniture remains piled high in my garage. I never carried it back out after last year's threat. My hurricane pantry has been restocked, plus all my devices; lanterns, flash lights, & radio remain at the ready. Many of these are crank-up since batteries are hard to come by before and especially after a hurricane when there's no electricity.

But one problem persists, the same I face every season -- someone to board my house! Last year I paid an outlandish price for the job which is crazy, but I was desperate. The estimates I'm getting now are $20-$25 per window and another $20-$25 each to unboard. In 2004 I paid $40 for my entire house and that included BOTH!

I realize there's inflation but that's just obscene! This is not a home improvement project but a life & death situation. When a Category 2 or above is headed straight for you it's a dire emergency!!! Those prices are just pure gouging!!!

A neighbor told me that a number of California people are relocating to Florida due to the devastating wildfires. Geez, don't those people know about our hurricanes! And Florida has wildfires too, just not as frequent as California.

This neighbor also mentioned that the Californians were paying higher than market value for houses here. (hint hint) At least this person prefaced that statement with: "We'd hate to lose you as a neighbor," unlike a previous one.

Yes, I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income with a two-story family sized home that I want to keep as long as I can. Go ahead and demonize me! I make no apologies! My time on this planet is diminishing every single day and I chose to spend it here in the home that I love. -- That is NOT a valid reason for someone to take advantage of me when I'm over a barrel!

And welcome to pandemic autumn with plenty of hurricanes still ahead!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment