-->

Saturday, July 25, 2020

RANDOM RAMBLING


Due to the pandemic I don't get together with friends as much these days beyond Facebook, email, & old fashioned phone calls. When technology took over life mutated and now it's mutating all over again.

Currently I'm back in lock-down mode and plan to be until this wretched virus is under control. One thing I miss about the April Covid 19 shut-down was the quiet! My phone wasn't ringing off the wall all day with unknown numbers.

Lately online I've been getting a lot of attention from the POD people; either it's persons seeking connections or offering vague sketchy jobs. I am a POD person myself although I don't ever remember joining this networking site. Perhaps it occurred during my sleep as in that science fiction flick.

While we're on the subject, the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Kevin McCarthy & Dana Wynter was much scarier than the 1978 remake with Brooke Adams and Donald Sutherland despite the canine-human hybrid. -- Although that was a great touch and one I enjoyed!

Since my vision began deteriorating reading has become more of a strain. With all my eye floaters and flashes it's especially trying attempting to decipher small print. However I can still enjoy movies!

Recently I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and greatly enjoyed it. Quentin Tarantino never fails to entertain and impress! He certainly did an amazing and brilliant job of capturing the atmosphere of 1969. That was the year I graduated from high school and I remember everything about it vividly!

However as with Inglorious Basterds, I wish there was a banner at the end that read: This Is How It Went Down in a Parallel Universe! -- Alternative history should be labeled as such! Otherwise this fiction is too similar to Holocaust and moon landing deniers.

Also I've been enjoying old reruns of The Big Valley. I never had the chance view it during its first run beginning in the 1960's. Apparently a family member, most likely my father preferred whatever was airing opposite.  This was back in the days before VCRs or DVRs. But now I'm hooked on this series!

I think there should be a TV movie update staring an elderly Linda Evans as an aged Audra Barkley in 1920. She would be a widow burying the last of her brothers, probably Heath. As a young woman in the 1870's, 1920 would seem quite a different reality. Similarly as a young woman in my 20's during the 1970's I find the year 2020 nothing short of bizarre!

If not for the shortages, the April lock-down would have felt like a vacation! I kept telling myself to pretend I was vacationing in the Third World. However the pandemic made me glad I decided against expatriating, although it's still not off the table. -- I'd have affordable health care and also be able to give up driving! But then, I'd also be giving up many things I enjoy here.



No comments:

Post a Comment