-->

Monday, January 20, 2020

REFLECTING ON A TRAGEDY HERE IN VERO BEACH


On 1/15/20 a young woman, Grace Rett a member of a Massachusetts rowing team was killed in a traffic accident right here in my hometown. She died instantly. Others on the team were injured, some seriously; the horrific scene was described as looking like a war zone. The team's van pulled in front of a pick-up truck while making a turn, both had the green light!

Grace was a standout who set a world record for indoor rowing just last month. In other words, someone with a bright future ahead now cheated of it by death; even more tragic she had turned 20 years old just the day before!

Reading this, I felt sick. I had just turned 69 only a week to the day before this accident.

In 2000 when my father was handed a death sentence at age 85 after his cancer had spread. I asked, if 10 years ago someone had told him that he'd outlive both Princess Diana and JFK Junior would he have believed them?"

Why and when we are taken seems way too arbitrary. And many of the most promising ones seem to be taken the earliest.

I am quite familiar with the spot where the accident occurred. I've almost been whacked there myself a few times! For that reason I refuse to make the turn from that direction even if it means driving out of my way. Of course a driver from another state would be unfamiliar with this intersection.

I'm just guessing, but I suspect the driver of the van carrying the team expected the truck to stop or at least slow down instead of plowing right ahead. But everything is still under investigation, perhaps no one was fault!

From my own experience I've made left-hand turns immediately after the light turned green while seeing another car in the distance thinking we both had time to make it thru the intersection safely. However, instead of slowing down the oncoming car shoots straight towards me at full speed blowing its horn! It always astounds me why someone would risk my life and theirs just to save a few minutes! Yet these fools are out there and they are legion!

And people wonder why I have anxiety attacks on the road and freak out whenever I must drive to an unknown location! I know we all have a death date tattooed on our souls, it's inevitable. But I don't want some paramedic scraping me off the dashboard. So I continue to be cautious and drive like the old lady I am. Unfortunately, sometimes you can do everything right and still go wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment