-->

Thursday, August 1, 2019

GOING GREEN, SUMMER SALADS WITH COLOR


Honestly, I've never been a salad person! To my mind, it was tantamount to chomping down on yard clippings! I could live happily on pasta & pizza. Unfortunately I had a health scare a few years back that forced me to dramatically alter my diet. I've since learned that as with pasta & pizza there's a variety of toppings that can make salad both healthy and delicious.

With the exception of red oak & radicchio; one thing you will rarely find in a salad of mine is lettuce! It may be healthy, but I can decipher no taste whatsoever.

Below are 2 of my favorites:  
 

      
                        DIANNE'S FRUITY DINNER SALAD


I always start with a base of fresh leafy kale & baby spinach on a dinner plate with high raised sides.

Generously add lots of seedless grapes, raspberries, & blueberries.

Sporadically scatter chopped walnuts.

Top with grilled chicken strips.

Lightly SPRINKLE, (NEVER soak a salad in dressing or oil!) raspberry or pear salad dressing.

On the side add a wedge or 2 of goat cheese or Swiss.

Best served with raspberry, apricot, peach, or mixed berry tea.

  

 

                                   DIANNE'S GREEK SALAD

The day before, slice cucumbers & soak them in lemon juice in the refrigerator overnight.

Again, start with the kale & spinach base.

Add a little radicchio lettuce for color.

Top with the sliced cucumbers

Add halved cherry tomatoes, sliced miniature sweet peppers, & chopped black olives.

Top with cooked shrimp.

Liberally scatter crumbled Feta cheese!

Then LIGHTLY sprinkle Greek dressing.

Best served with orange & cinnamon spice tea, or lemon ginger tea.

 

Note:  The last salad above should come with a warning, but only if you have Acid Reflux issues like me. Volcanic pain in the chest along with a fiery lava sensation in the throat, needless to say is no fun.

However, I've found that I don't have a problem if followed immediately by over the counter medication. Also milk in the tea helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment