-->

Friday, July 12, 2019

WHAT'S OLD IS NEW


Forget the Joneses; I'm still trying to keep up with the Flintstones! I just got a new DVD player. This was a thoughtful and generous gift from a dear friend. I am delighted to have it!

I love watching TV in the evening! And I record everything! Movies are a favorite, I watch as many of those as TV shows, sometimes more. I seldom go out after dark and I get too sleepy reading at night. With my DVR I just hit pause, cat-nap and then pick right up where I left off. It's wonderful! But now, I must make adjustments.

ATT hiked my cable bill so high that I was forced to give up the Starz-Showtime package I loved. And I don't want a satellite for reasons I mentioned in a previous post. For a decade, I was able to enjoy this bundle at a price I could afford. In fact, 2 years ago I got a special deal in which HBO was included for 6 months.

Actually I like Starz-Showtime better than HBO; they run more the type of movies & series I enjoy. Now it's no more OUTLANDER or my new favorite THE SPANISH PRINCESS which continues in 2020.

However I've been losing interest in Outlander for awhile now. The series jumped the shark for me when Claire went thru the stones into the past a second time. I realize that a fantasy is supposed and even expected to vault over all manner of mythical creatures. But my suspended belief is faltering. As far as I'm concerned, Claire may as well have leapt over the Loch Ness monster! If this series was based on reality rather than fantasy, upon her return 20 years later, Claire would have found her strapping hulk of a Scotsman now fat, balding, with missing teeth, and married to a girl their daughter's age! And no sane person would deliberately time travel back to live under the conditions of that period.

My new favorite is based on reality. (OK loosely!) And Yes, yes, yes, everyone who has been to school (or the movies or has watched TV) knows how this plays out. Catherine of Aragon marries King Henry VIII, the marriage is happy until Catherine while growing older, fails to produce a male heir. Henry has a roving eye and his gaze falls upon saucy silver-tongued Anne Boleyn who plays him like a mandolin. Catherine is discarded like yesterday's porridge, but unlike Anne Boleyn gets to keep her head.  -- I would still enjoy seeing this all unfold on my TV screen!

The price of my current lesser bundle expires next spring. -- I wasn't even given a full year! I've decided that when the time arrives unless ATT offers me a honking amazing deal at a great price I'm returning to Comcast. I would have done this already except I'd lose all of my recordings! There are plenty of movies I still want to see.

A decade ago I was thrilled to be rid of Comcast, however I've experienced equally as many issues with ATT. However ATT's saving grace was a movie package I could actually afford. Now  that's no longer the case, so there's no reason to keep them longer than I have to.

I've looked into streaming, but don't like what I've learned. Plus its alien technology to me!!! I've been told by several that you can't have both a DVR and stream. And I must give up TV shows I enjoy, as well as be unable to fast-forward thru programs. This sucks!!! Frequently, I fast-forward thru car chases, boring dialogue, & sex scenes. -- Unless there's nudity, then I hit pause. I've actually fast-forwarded thru entire movies!

With the exception of Online & On Demand, I haven't sat thru a commercial in almost 30 years and I hate the thought of going back to that! Also zapping out advertisements is a big time saver, at my age, I don't have that much time left!

My first thought upon losing Starz-Showtime was that I'll be going back to movie-hopping every weekend, again.

However with my new DVD player I can rent movies from Red Box. I've also been told there's a second- hand place in town that sells used DVDs for a dollar & 50 cents on sale. I'm planning on becoming a regular customer.

My new DVD player is a most welcome gift! Thank you again, Rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment