-->

Friday, January 11, 2019

BACK TO REAL LIFE


There was an entirely different energy right after Christmas; a sluggish moroseness filled the air. New Years have always held an element of sadness rather than celebration for me. Plus I was suffering a bad case of flu with a bug that wouldn't let go!

Every New Year's I can't help but think of all the people who didn't make it that far. I've reached the age where I know more people who are dead than alive. After I hit 50; friends, relatives, & acquaintances seemed to drop in droves right and left! I miss my friends Margaret & Pat to this day!

Nowadays I'm not as socially active as during the previous decade. Most of the groups to which I belonged (or attended regularly as a guest) have since disbanded. And the ones remaining have changed to the point that I no longer have an interest.

Fortunately, I love and enjoy my alone time in my beautiful home. But sadly, my holiday vacation from real life is over, now. The new year always brings new problems along with old ones and they always seem to be expensive. I don't need a crystal ball to see several that are already headed my way!  

Add to this, I am furious that the price of postage is going up this month! That means the cost of everything shoots up! Why don't they just eliminate Saturday deliveries, they're a nuisance anyway!

Despite all of this, I haven't given up on another big trip while I still have the health. Getting ripped off by that unqualified repairman for $5,500 sure set me back! That was money down a rat hole and the work must be redone at a higher price! Still, I want something to look forward to in my old age besides illness and death. I'm determined that my last exotic trip won't be the final one.

On the other hand, I've already enjoyed multiple trips of a lifetime.

I always knew that someday I would visit Paris, Rome, London, and all the major European capitals. But I never imagined that I would travel behind the Iron Curtain and see Russia & the Crimean up close. Or sail from the Spanish Costa del Sol past the Rock of Gibraltar to Tangier & spend a week in North Africa; or kiss the Blarney Stone; or climb ancient ruins at Tikal in the jungles of Guatemala; or go snorkeling in the Galapagos Islands; or ride an elephant thru a stream and mountain jungle in Thailand. Or ever set foot in Dubai even if it was just to change planes. But I've done all of those things and many, many, many more!

However, I long to make new memories in other faraway places! 

But even if I don't, I'm grateful for everything I have right now. I am proud that I didn't allow age to turn me into an overweight frump. And I rock gray hair the way few women can! -- Go ahead and hate me, see if I care! I'm always good to myself because others are not.

I really have no right to feel sorry for myself! I should be downright ashamed in doing so. I've been indeed blessed in all sorts of ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment