-->

Monday, August 20, 2018

RIPPED OFF & ROTTING AS I WAIT


Hellish humidity, rain and rotting wood surround me. I was preparing myself to file in Small Claims Court. But first, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, also one with Florida Senior Abuse on the advice of others. (Remember that under all this smoking hotness is a senior citizen!) I was hesitant about the latter for two reasons. No one was beating me with a stick. (Although I'm sure there are people who would like to!) Also the man who ripped me off is the same age. -- I learned neither matters, it still qualifies as abuse!

However I ran into problems because I had no address; only his name, business, & phone number. Senior Abuse could find neither a trace of him nor his business anywhere. I went online myself with the same issue. He claims to be licensed & insured, but I'm having doubts about that.

Enter my friend Rose who is super smart. She traced his address thru his phone within 10 minutes. Also she called to find out if he was still in business. He's not working now because his equipment is broken. Rose advised me not to waste my time & money going to small claims court because I probably won't get anything. I'm inclined to agree. I may as well try to prick blood from a brick.

However, my complaints may spare others similar grief! I was ripped off for $5,500! The job was performed spring 2017 and now must be done over completely. I am a single woman on a fixed income. I haven't had good night's sleep over this and I'm tired and stressed every day.

This guy became my regular handyman after the previous and best one ever retired to another state. I'd hired this new one for several jobs and was pleased with his work. I'd even recommended him to others. -- I sure regret that now!

The outside of my home must be maintained! I don't want neighbors complaining that I'm lowering their property values. This is a pretty neighborhood that looks straight out of a 1950's movie set. The maintenance along with taxes & insurance keeps me poor. But I love this house! It still takes my breath away every time I walk thru the door.

Late February 2017 my house needed painting and rotting wood replaced. I asked my handyman to advise me and recommend someone. Apparently he saw dollar signs and volunteered to do the job, one which he turned out to be clearly unqualified. A carpenter friend was going to help, he assured.

The carpenter came and asked me if I was a church-goer. (As if this was any of his business!) I told him, no. He gave me a look of disdain."I don't know if I want this job," he replied. "I haven't decided."

My jaw dropped. Inside I was screaming, "I'm the decider here buster, not you!" The following day I told my handyman I wanted a different carpenter! I thought I'd disqualified myself anyway plus I didn't like his pious and condescending attitude. -- Anytime someone wears God or the flag like a cheap accessory it's usually a cloak of deceit.

"He's already agreed to take the job!" I was told. "This man is so skilled he's able to cherry-pick his jobs. You'll never find anyone better!"

So I relented. That carpenter was here only ONE half day with his sons and I can't see that any work was done! Rotting wood is still plentiful all over my house, rotting wood that was painted over!!!

I wish I could sue his sanctimonious ass! But I can't, because I wrote the checks to my handyman, not him! I'm going to be paying twice! I am pissed as hell! Now I must find someone who will not rip me off!

I've been reading a post that's making the rounds across the pages of Facebook that states strong women are never victims. Oh geez, really? Am I supposed to apologize now for being victimized! If the person who came up with this ignorant post were to stand before me and say that, this victim would punch them in the face!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment