-->

Monday, July 2, 2018

THE GIRL FROM LONG AGO


That summer I must have been 4 years old because I didn't start school for another 2 years at age 6. My premier friend Sharla, (4 years older) a grade schooler was quite sophisticated and worldly. Just the year before she took a train trip with her mother to an exotic sounding place called Pennsylvania. I was in awe.

This particular summer their church was sponsoring a fun day at a swimming hole in a neighboring municipality just a short distance away for children in the congregation, they were encouraged to invite others. Sharla's mother Jayne invited me, probably without her knowledge, I'm guessing.

Just as soon as Jayne drove away Sharla raced off to join kids her own age. I knew I would not be seeing her around me until it was time to go home. I was hurt but not surprised, Sharla was just being Sharla.

I loved to swim and found myself automatically walking toward the water. It wasn't too deep and comfortably cool, perfect for swimming. I wasn't in long before a girl around age 10 swam over and asked my name. We played and laughed together in the water.

Lunch was included, at this time the swimming ended. The older girl took my hand as we stepped from the water. She grabbed a towel and began drying me off, one leg & arm at time. Sharla would never have done that! Just the week before at the beach I asked her to hand me a towel and she told me, "Get it yourself!"

This older girl took my hand again and we headed toward the picnic tables. We sat together and chatted. Afterward she pushed me on the swings and we sang. She never left my side that entire day. Later she waited with me still holding my hand as the event drew to a close. My friend, Sharla was occupied elsewhere.

When Jayne arrived to pick us up it was painful to wave good bye. I knew I'd never see this girl again, but I would never forget her, either! I could not have imagined that someone older would take an interest and give me such TLC. I had never felt so cared for by anyone, not even my own mother. She made me feel so special that day!

I wasn't even that cute. And there was no pay off for her.

Perhaps she was the preacher's daughter and had been instructed to befriend any stray kids. If so, I never felt she was acting out of obligation. Even now as a senior citizen I still vividly recall this angel of a girl and that day long ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment