-->

Saturday, July 1, 2017

SHUT IN, BUT NOT OUT


This summer I'm pretty much cocooning. Between the oppressive heat outside and the scattered storms, staying indoors feels downright nice. Besides, I've got my ghostwriting job to keep me busy.
Once again, grocery shopping has become the highlight of my week. I find it a fun activity rather than a chore, although one fraught with many temptations.

Of course I can also be lured out of my lair by an exciting, action-packed 3-D movie or even an interesting 1-D film. And I still meet friends for lunch in town from time-to-time. Otherwise, I'm pretty much a shut-in again. However, this time it's on my terms and that makes all the difference.

Between my last 2 exotic trips, numerous house repairs, plus all those unexpected expenses; my savings are down to where they were a decade ago! So I'm back on a serious spending diet.

Also 2 friends are planning great trips and have invited me along. I want to go! Before long I may be too old, sick, or poor to travel. I want to make memories now! And I'm cutting back on everything else to afford it.

Recently, I've decided to let my short gray hair grow long. I'm tired of paying an obscene price just to have it trimmed every couple months! When long, I was able to cut it myself in 15 minutes or less! A close friend is quite upset with me over this. She claims I'm going to ruin my looks because short hair is more becoming on me. I disagree! During most of my 50's my hair was long and red which I colored myself, I constantly received complements. And I don't see the gray as being unflattering.

My air-conditioner remains set on 80 degrees to keep my bills down. Hey, it's better than the 90 plus outside! Inside, I walk around in the buff with my blinds drawn. I keep a caftan nearby to slip over my head in case a neighbor comes to the door or I need to go outside for mail or retrieve my garbage bin.

Thankfully my home is quiet, private, and serene again. During the repairs and inspections with the noise and all those strangers around, my comfort zone was not that comfortable!

Time passes quickly; the days go by fast, too much so. I just wish I could grab the minutes in my hands and savor each second. But they stream thru my fingers flowing in one direction. I know where that path leads or rather dead ends. Plus it's fraught with booby traps, quick sand, and snake pits along the way.  I've witnessed it thru the eyes of those who've passed before me. It's not a pleasant thought.

I am relishing the here and now, grateful for every moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment