-->

Sunday, January 15, 2017

LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME


I was enjoying a private tour of Thailand with my own personal guide & driver. It was a fantasy that had become reality! This was a trip I had planned for 2 years. I sacrificed luxuries, neglected household repairs, & pinched nickels every way I could to afford this trip. Plus I subscribed to an expat Thai newsletter online and studied up on Thailand and its customs. Perhaps this country would become my future home? I had to go there and find out.

First, I had to change planes in Dubai. I didn't know I was going there until my Travel Agent told me. And I must say, the airport there was as interesting as it was stressful.

From Dubai, it was on to Bangkok. Soon it hit me; here I was on the other side of the planet!!! Every day was now filled with wonderful pinch-me-am-I-really-here moments!!! Exotic eye-popping architecture and colorfully dressed people surrounded me. Everything was eye candy for the soul!

Every hotel or resort I stayed had either a terrace or back porch with a scenic water view. And each had a Dragon fruit centerpiece somewhere in the room; plus a tea kettle, burner, along with all the tea fixings. This made for the perfect ending to my exhausting, event-filled days as I journeyed north.

I didn't go drinking in the night clubs, that's not my thing! I was more interested in the culture. I felt privileged to see much of rural Thailand and meet people from the various hill tribes and just explore.

Of course I hit the major tourist spots too, including lots and lots of ornate temples. All are worth seeing!

Don't get me started on the variety of gorgeous merchandise in the markets! If Thailand was not so far away and the flight so expensive & long, I'd go back tomorrow with an empty suitcase & lots of cash! Thailand is filled with amazingly beautiful bargains.

Of course during most of the trip I had swollen feet & calves, plus a bruised body from all the walking, climbing, and tumbles I took, but I'd do it all again. Plus I had 3 flights within Thailand, itself and flying isn't pleasant anymore, to say the least. But that too, was worth it. Thailand was a thrilling experience and one not to be missed!

However, I needed to determine whether or not I would be moving there. Unfortunately, the minus column was the longer. I'm a spoiled American and Thailand is still developing. I needed to keep in mind that if I moved, I would not be living in 5 star hotels & resorts, nor would I have a personal guide & driver. Although these amenities made for a truly memorable and magnificent vacation!!!

Everything remains as fresh and vivid in my mind as if it happened yesterday! I can close my eyes and feel back there. It doesn't seem like an entire year ago to me.

My memories of Thailand are nothing short of glorious, and ones I will forever treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment