-->

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

EMOTION FLAVORS & THE HORROR SHOW


American Horror Story has been one of my favorite TV shows ever since the premier. But I’ve found this season disappointing. My weekly stay at the Hotel Cortez feels unpleasant rather than interesting. There is gruesome violence aplenty, but few scares. It comes across as a bloody convoluted mess! I miss that delicious tingle of anticipation racing down my back!

Also I miss Jessica Lange! Sarah Paulson seems to be trying hard to channel her, but looks forced and fake. She comes across as a caricature. And beautiful Lily Rabe has always been one of my favorite characters no matter her role, except this one. I didn’t appreciate seeing her uglied up as Aileen Wuomos. I just wanted that character to go away.

In the past, it’s always been the female stars that shine brightest in this show.

This time around, we’ve got Lady Gaga as a vampire Countess. I’m a fan of her fun style of couture, but not her music. I’m not sure if the problem is her, the current theme, or both. But the Hotel Cortez is a stinking ruin that begs to be dynamited!

In the Nov. 11 episode, titled ROOM 33, the Countess describes love as tasting like rose water and betrayal as having that taste of char on meat. GADZOOKS, REALLY!!! Apparently this character has been a vampire so long she has forgotten what food actually tastes like! This is way off!

In a previous blog, I revealed that I have a disorder called synesthesia causing me to taste names. For example: Rachael tastes like barley porridge, Polly tastes like scones with jam, and Irene spiked cake. Perhaps for this reason, I believe I have a better sense of how emotions actually taste than this vampire character.

Betrayal tastes like vinegar. And the bawdy lust this character refers to as love, I should think would taste more like candy to her than rose water.

I would imagine pure (non-sexual) love, the kind you feel for your father, dearest friend, or dog would taste like honey butter. Friendship tastes like sweet citrus fruit or summer berries. Happiness is hazelnut coffee topped with whipped cream, cinnamon, & a peppermint stick.

 Below are more:

 Suspicion - raw onions

 Anger -wasabi sauce

Rage- Jalapeño peppers

Terror – brain freeze after ice cream.  If it’s the good kind of fear, you want another bite!

Repulsion- sour milk

This season of American Horror Story looked like a wickedly delicious casserole until I took a bite. Several ingredients are overdone, some don’t belong and others are past their expiration date. Somehow it’s still palatable, but just barely. And it leaves a bad taste in my mouth afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment