-->

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

TALES FROM THE CRYPTOVAULT


I was robbed!  But first I was infected.  It began as I was blithely engaged in a Google search, an alarm blared! Large writing appeared on my screen. My computer was in the process of being infected! It scared the living daylights out of me! I was given an 888 number to call. “WE’RE SERIOUS DIANNE,” it read.  And my computer was FROZEN!

Computers can’t be trusted, so I phoned my Tech man, Jake. He instructed me to shut down immediately from the back. Hopefully that would end the virus! A few days later, the same thing happened. We knew this was a serious problem and something had to done.

Jake removed 2 Trojan bugs and updated my anti-virus software.  I thought I was safe!!! This occurred around the end of June.

Early July 4, I logged on to work on my blog. To my horror and confusion, I found myself locked out! Several weird pages kept popping up. Since it was a holiday weekend, I was unable to reach Jake. The rest of my computer (Email & Facebook) worked fine, so I didn’t think it was that bad.

The following morning, I reached Jake. As soon as I mentioned CRYPTOVAULT, he instructed me to shut down immediately and keep my computer off until he arrived early the next day! Unknown to me, this virus is a particularly treacherous & sophisticated one. The worst of the worst!!!  I helped spread it just by using my computer. Now I was unable to access ANY of my files!

Jake cautioned not to get my hopes up.  He was pessimistic toward any retrieval. These are tales lost forever to the Cryptovault.

Frustratingly, my files still existed, but they were being held for ransom. For about $500 I might get them back. Jake advised against it. Even if I could spare the money, it’s never a good idea to pay ransomers. There are no guarantees; they are not the highest caliber of human beings.

“These are groups of thieves who rake in billions!” Jake told me.” They’ve hit banks and big corporations that just pay them. These low lives would be easy to catch,” he explained, “Just follow the money and then impose sanctions on the countries that fail to turn them over.  Yet our government does nothing!”

 “Why would they target a little potato like me?” I was curious to know.

“It’s random,” he said. “It may have come attached to something you shared on Facebook.” 

I’ve since learned that Cryptovault can’t be stopped by anti-virus software. This is truly unnerving!

Jake took my computer home to be flushed out.  I worked on the small laptop purchased for my trips. I asked what to do if Cryptovault struck while I was out of the country. “Don’t worry,” he said, “You have no files left to steal.”

Among my stolen files were 8 completed chapters of a new book, plus a lengthy draft of another, short articles & detailed story ideas, poems, & several completed future blogs yet to be posted. Painstaking, long, tedious hours of work were lost in an instant!!! 

If someone broke into my home and stole from me, at least I’d have recourse.  But when someone steals my intellectual property no option exists, at least not in this case!

When Jake returned with my desktop, there was positive news. The FBI had just busted a ring of cyber thieves! They were probably connected to Cryptovault in some way. -- However this came too late to help me.

As for my lost work, I’ve tried to re-create the book along with other stuff, but the passion just isn’t there, anymore. Could this be a sign from the universe. Everything in those files was from my soon-to-be old life, here. Perhaps now my focus should be directed elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment