-->

Friday, April 17, 2015

THIS ROSE WILL NEVER BE A VIOLET


I think of my friend Rose every time I see that Android commercial with the monkey & raccoon playing, the puppy & goat frolicking, & the lama & zebra romping together. Or maybe I’m confusing this with unlikely animal friends, either way that’s Rose & me! We’re completely different animals; in fact polar opposites. Yet we are super friends and enjoy tons of fun and laughter together!

Rose sees the glass as half full of champagne; I see it half empty, cracked & teaming with germs. She feels your pain, I am a pain! She’s a night owl, I’m an early bird. Rose loves to socialize; while mostly I just tolerate other people. I enjoy quiet and prefer spending time alone. She’s totally heterosexual & I’m completely asexual.

In my blog, I’ve changed the names of those with whom my experiences were negative, including my step-mother. I’ve teased Rose that if we ever having a falling out, she’s going to turn up here as “Violet.” However, I can’t imagine ever doing that!

If they made a TV show based upon her life, it would be titled: EVERYBODY LOVES ROSE. If they made one based on mine, it would be: NO ONE CAN STAND DIANNE. Nobody except Rose, that is!

But then, Rose is a phenomenon. She can plan and book a trip over the Internet as easily she can master a business meeting, or prepare a gourmet meal. She is THAT amazing! I can’t imagine why she would even want to know someone like me! Between us, she is clearly the full-fledged adult. Also she is my first friend who is younger!

Rose successfully raised 3 younger brothers while both parents worked. I had 3 parents living under one roof, 2 of who became paranoid schizophrenics. My brother was my third parent due to the wide age gap between us. From my earliest memories, he towered over our mother. I never knew him as a boy.

Rose & I probably met for the first time eons ago on a distant planet.

In this life, we met a year after the passing of a long-time dear friend, my last one. Every person to whom I had ever been close, was dead. Now, I often refer to Rose as, “My last still breathing close friend.” This makes her even more precious.

Both of us are searching for a Third World place to retire. Time is quickly passing and before long, we will be leaving for Ecuador together on an exploratory visit. Rose being younger, can afford to take time making up her mind. I will be 65 next year and must decide faster.

A few years from now, I hope to find us living in the same part of the world. However, I must prepare myself for the possibility our future may not turn out that way. Unlike me, Rose has family here, as well as many long-time friends. Plus she can afford to be retired anywhere.

I know I’ll miss Rose more than she’ll miss me. But no matter what the outcome, despite any distance, we will stay friends throughout eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment