-->

Friday, April 10, 2015

SAFETY IS AN ILLUSION


Obscured by trees and thick under-growth for privacy, a dirt road and another neighborhood stand behind my house. As soon as the sun goes down, a street light brightly illuminates my back yard. A fire hydrant sits out front. I’ve always felt I live in one of the safer spots.

Sure, there have been break-ins and attempts in this neighborhood over the years, but as of yet, nothing major.

About 5 years ago, (my then) next door neighbor happened to be home at 9:30 AM. I on the other hand, who is almost always home, happened to be out that morning.

She watched from a back room as a strange man came up her walkway and rang her doorbell. Not expecting anyone, she didn’t go to the door, but kept a suspicious eye on him. The man walked around to the back of her house. This stranger was now at her back screen door trying to force it open!

Instantly, she grabbed her cell phone! She called her husband who worked at the Sherriff’s office. Still on the phone, she stepped out to where the would-be burglar could see her. In a flash, he took off running and jumped their wood fence in the back. Thru the foliage, she saw him hop into a waiting pick-up truck and speed off!

Within an hour, he was apprehended. A variety of stolen items were found inside his truck. Naturally the incident unnerved everyone in the neighborhood. To secure my house, I took even more preventative measures. Also I now grocery shop on different days & times to thwart thieves watching for patterns.

Awhile back, around 10:00 AM I was working on my computer when suddenly the doorbell rang in urgent rapid succession: ding-ding-ding-ding non-stop. I wondered who-the-hell would ring my bell that way! Surely it must be an emergency! Perhaps my house was on fire and a neighbor wanted to get me out immediately!

In a panic I rushed toward the door. As I reached for the lock, a voice inside my head screamed, “DO NOT OPEN THAT DOOR!!!”

Instead, I crept up the stairs onto the landing and peeked down thru the blinds. A dark, scruffy, but muscular man stepped back from the door. I could see him in full view and he looked pissed! I could almost see steam emanating from him. His expression seemed to say, “Why didn’t that bitch open, I could hear her stirring about!”

I walked further up the stairs to the loft and peered out the top window looking to see what kind of vehicle he had. There was none! The street in front of my house was empty all down the North end. I hurried into my bedroom to view the South side from my big picture window. There was nothing in my driveway or anywhere on the street, not even the man!

I was fearful now that he might be out back trying to break in! I grabbed the baseball bat under my bed along with a can of wasp spray and hurried downstairs. I raced from window to window peering out. But the man had just vanished! I was relieved.

Perhaps that man was there for a legitimate reason, although I can’t imagine what it would be. I had never seen him before and I haven’t seen him since. And why did he find it necessary to ring my bell in that alarming fashion! My overwhelming vibe was that he intended to hurt me.

Others have warned how unsafe it’s going to be for me to live alone in a Third World country. I’m sure that is true! However, no place is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment