-->

Thursday, November 27, 2014

NO THANK YOU, BLACK FRIDAY


It’s still Thanksgiving morning; my bulging newspaper was stuffed with catalogs and sale flyers. Without even browsing, I separated and carried all those ads straight to the recycle bin.

That notorious and much heralded day of shopping will soon be upon us.

I don't do Black Friday, period! Normally, I enjoy shopping. But crowds, noise, confusion, and stress I do NOT need. Besides, there's 365 days a year to buy gifts! Why wait until the holiday season? There are sales year round! Holidays should be fun, not stressful!

Unbelievably, stores are now open on Thanksgiving Day! I find that obscene. It's greed run amok!

Normally, I love to shop! Among my talents, I have a knack for finding cool things that others overlook. Many times, people have stopped to point inside my basket and inquire where I found a particular item, or else someone in the line behind would tap me. More than once, a check-out clerk has picked up my item and exclaimed, “I didn’t know we sold this! Where did you find it?” This has happened to me in other countries as well.

Friends and even enemies used to say that I could go into a Thrift Shop and come out looking like a million bucks! Believe me; I’m in my element in ANY store. However, I prefer my shopping excursions to be without pressure and no one’s elbow in my back. Besides, I buy few gifts now. Plus I don’t need any more stuff.

My Black Fridays are spent erecting & decorating my Christmas tree. Since my tree is tall & wide, it’s an all day job! Not to mention a hazardous one for someone who is no longer young. My entire body aches the following day. However, it’s well worth the trouble.

Standing beneath this gorgeous creation of artificial fern, brightly colored lights, & gaudy decorations, I am uplifted. I embrace this feeling. I only wish the holiday season could last forever.

My big, garish tree is just for me to enjoy. And enjoy it, I do! The day after Thanksgiving for me, is filled with color.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I took the time to enjoy my family and continue to be grateful for what I have. Christmas decorations slowly started going up and I just relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put mine up all in one day. (I love the holidays so much I couldn't wait!) Now my body is sore & aching.

    ReplyDelete