-->

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

FURRY LOVE & FUR COVERED ME


I still laugh and cheer when I see the video of that cat tearing into the dog attacking her small owner. I had a female cat exactly like that! She was a Russian Blue with a white half-moon on her belly that looked just like a bikini bottom and white markings on her chest & neck that made her appear to be wearing a halter top. Also she had white mittens & toes. Tasha was a little beauty we acquired at 10 months of age. Already spayed, that didn’t seem to matter to the neighborhood Toms. They still came around.

I could almost hear saxophone music playing as she sashayed down the driveway swinging her saucy little behind. Meow- wah-wah-waaah! Meow-wah-wah-waaah! However the Toms learned fast that Tasha wasn’t game for their advances.

My dogs & cats were never pets. They were family members and fully-empowered canine & feline Americans.

Our small female dog Coco, was her step-sister. She was terrified of big dogs! A neighbor had 2 large Labradors that often came onto our property. They would gang-up and playfully tease Coco who didn’t enjoy the harassment. Tasha would race to the rescue with teeth & nails barred, yowling & hissing! Those big dogs would shoot off down the street in dire terror as if she was the devil! It was hilarious to watch!

Until 2003 I always had either a dog or cat, usually both in my home. I’m germ phobic, but this does not apply to animals. Right into adulthood, my mother was always yelling at me to stop kissing the dog & cat on the mouth. And I’d holler back, “What’s the big deal, people kiss babies!” – I’ve never been one of those people who think babies are cute, not the human kind anyway!

Eating mammals makes me feel like a cannibal. I’ve always avoided it whenever possible.

Around 2004 I was in a Thrift Store when I came across a beautiful faux fur jacket for $5. A great imitation for sure I thought and what a bargain! After I got it home and examined it. I discovered to my horror it was the real deal, genuine silver fox! Now I felt like a hypocrite, but throwing away $5. made me feel guilty. So, it just sat in my closet for a few years.

Later, my friend Margaret came again for a fun day out on my birthday. The day was an extremely cold one by Florida standards. I was debating whether or not to wear the beautiful fur. I decided OK, maybe this once.

First, we stopped at a gas station. As I stood pumping gas, I heard someone at a red light screaming, “Animal killer!" “Animal killer!” My reaction was WHERE? WHERE? I looked around. Then I realized he was referring to ME!!! Now I felt ashamed and terrible.

Margaret was comforting. “No one is kinder to animals than you. Just forget it!” she said.

Well it ruined my day! I couldn’t get it out of my head! Later, as we sat eating in the restaurant I looked at the other people chowing away. How many of those cows & pigs on their plates died from a hammer or nail gun to the head, probably in agony! Yet no one blames the restaurant for serving and the customers for ordering. -- A woman in a fur coat is a much safer target than a man sitting in his truck eating a Big Mac!

Before long, it was the middle of summer. I spotted a full-length FAUX silver fox fur in one of my catalogues for half-price. I decided to buy myself an early Christmas present. I’m glad I did! I haven’t seen one that gorgeous since. It’s a darn good imitation, too! And if anyone dares to call me an animal killer, instead of hollering back, “I’m coming after you next!” I’ll just say it’s a fake fur, you dumb ass!”

The last time I wore it, an older man approached to inquire what type of fur I was wearing. “It’s a synthetic,” I replied. I could tell from his puzzled expression he was wondering what-the-heck kind of animal is a synthetic.

“Oh,” he said, “it looks like fox.”

“It’s synthetic fox!” I explained. Finally he understood.

Once upon a time, I couldn’t imagine my life without a dog or cat. But I’ve reached the point where I don’t want one anymore. At my age, an animal is liable to outlive me. I’m seeing more members of my High School graduating class in the obituaries all the time. What if I had a stroke or heart attack, or was in an accident and had to be hospitalized! My neighbors who left me to twist in the wind during 4 hurricanes aren’t going to rush to assume responsibility for any dog or cat.

Plus with inflation my budget is growing constantly tighter!

Nowadays having an animal is almost as expensive as having a kid! Just walking thru the door at a Veterinarian’s office used to cost me $100 alone and that was over 10 years ago! Plus I like to spoil my fur babies. After my last dog died, I gathered up her things and donated them to the local animal shelter. There were so many toys, blankets, types of food & treats you’d have thought I had 10 dogs rather than one small one.

However, I do enjoy the neighborhood cats & dogs. I like them way better than most of the people. In the A.M. when I go out to fetch my newspaper, a little gray cat (I believe from one house over) comes to greet me. I don’t know whether it’s a male or female, but we always delight in a lovemaking session right there in the middle of my driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment