-->

Friday, June 6, 2014

DON'T BANK ON ANYTHING


Spring 1964 I was now a teenager of several months. It filled me with both pride and fear. I was attending the “special” school in West Palm Beach. The following fall, I would be returning to regular junior high back in my hometown. Just the thought of it made me sick! I dreaded being thrust back into that soul-crushing atmosphere, its caste system and harassment.

During the week, my mother and I rented an apartment within walking distance of the “special” school. Fridays, Dad drove down after work to bring us home for the weekends. We always stopped to dine out on the way home. This time the conversation was of particular interest.

My father had become aware of a bank in Kansas for sale. This was an opportunity he couldn’t ignore. With his keen business mind, he could build it into a gold mine.

Until then, I didn’t even know that a private citizen could buy a bank! I loved the idea! Starting over fresh in a different state seemed like an exciting new adventure!

My father had been to Kansas in his youth and was unimpressed. He said the terrain was flat and plain as a turn-of-the century schoolmarm. Also it was tornado alley and they were worse than hurricanes. At this point, we’d yet to deal with a hurricane and its aftermath.

We knew this move would bring tremendous change to all our lives.

Kansas being landlocked meant we would be giving up our boat. We lived on the St. Lucie River only minutes from the ocean. My parents loved to spend long hours fishing. I didn’t care for it. But sometimes instead, we’d find a small deserted island in the inlet to picnic and swim. I loved that! But I was willing to sacrifice. We could always vacation in Florida, or someplace else with a beach. Or my folks could retire here later on.

Dad felt more than a twinge of guilt at the thought of leaving his job. This company had given him his big break. Many others would have gouged out their left eye for his position and paycheck! Also a concept called company loyalty existed back then. Job-hoppers were looked down upon. It was a completely different mindset. Dad wanted more time to think. He would tell us his decision the following Friday.

I was ready, right then to leave Florida! The week ahead was a long one, tense with excitement. The next time I saw my father, I hollered, “When are we leaving for Kansas!?”

I knew instantly by his body language we weren’t. He looked away.

“I thought it over,” he said. “I felt it would change our lives too drastically.”

Crestfallen, I knew I would be returning to my hometown school at summer’s end. I felt sick all over again. Fools will tell you that the things you worry about in life never come to pass. Well, they do happen, and sometimes even worse than you can imagine!!! -- I speak from experience.

Add to that those horrible catastrophes that blindside! Less than a year later, my dad’s company collapsed, along with our privileged lifestyle. The boss had been keeping 2 sets of books! My father was suddenly unemployed! – Talk about a drastic change to all our lives, not to mention a boss who was deceitful and disloyal to employees and clients, both.

Had Dad resigned and bought the bank in Kansas, we would have been safely away from all that. Everything would be different today!

The Kansas bank was never mentioned again. But I wonder how often my father thought about it.

Also the following September we were hit by our first hurricane.


UPDATE:

I have since learned that Florida has many deadly tornadoes. This is news to me! During my 60 plus years in this state, I've never been hit by one. I have however survived 6 serious hurricanes.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment