-->

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WELCOME, NOW GET LOST

While I'm on my harangue about lousy service I'll never forget an encounter I had at Walmart early in 2002. In retrospect, it seems hilarious to me. At the time it was just aggravating.

I was buying a bag of dog food. The smaller bags were up on the highest shelf way out of reach. There was even a sign that said to ask for help. I looked around for a staffer. I found one several isles over, on a ladder no less.

He seemed annoyed when I asked for help. He dismounted his ladder and followed me to the Pet Food section. I pointed to the small bags on the top shelf.

"Why don't you just buy 1 of the larger ones on the bottom?" he asked with irritation.

"Because I have a small dog and a large bag would probably go bad, or get filled with bugs before it was used up," I told him.

"We sell big containers on the next isle, just get 1 of those and the food will stay fresh for a year," he instructed.

"My dog is nearly 18 yrs old and suffers from Cushings Disease. She may not even be alive, tomorrow! And I don't want to be stuck with all that food!" I explained, now raising my voice.

He glared at me as if I was lying just to inconvenience him. Grumbling, he fetched his ladder and I got my small bag of dog food.

Later that same year, I went to Target, shopping for a patio table. I found the perfect one. But no one to wait on me. Then I noticed a button to press to reach an employee.

A big woman the size of a rhino came charging towards me hollering, "Out of my way!" She went for the button. "I only have moments to respond," she told me.

Gee, was that supposed to be an apology!...I told her I wanted to buy the patio table.

"It's out of stock," she replied.

Why can't I purchase the one in front of me?" I wanted to know.

"It's the display model. I can't sell it," she explained. "But we should be getting a new shipment sometime in 4 to 6 weeks."

"Will you phone me when it arrives?" I inquired.

"No, you call us," she replied dryly.

I decided they didn't need my money. So I walked out.

Relating this experience to a close friend, she told me one of her own, at the Stuart Kmart. It is worth repeating.

She approached a young employee to inquire if they carried a particular item. The kid told her to phone the store.

Recently, I saw the movie IDIOCRACY. I fear we are already there!

No comments:

Post a Comment