-->

Thursday, November 24, 2011

THANKSGIVING, MY WAY

After my father's death in Oct. of 2001, the holidays were soon upon me. I was still grieving and just wanted them to be over. However, the following Thanksgiving in 02, I realized the time had come to start my own holiday traditions.

Since my idea of cooking mostly involves poking holes in a tray, I looked for an alternative. But I didn't want to spend time in a crowded restaurant either. The local hospital held a Thanksgiving meal in their cafeteria for a reasonable price. It was open to the public and had several seatings. I found it wasn't as crowded if I attended the earliest one. Afterward I drove to a matinee. This became my tradition.

One year, my friend Margaret announced she would be coming to spend Thanksgiving with me. She offered to cook a turkey dinner for the 2 of us.

"It won't feel like a holiday if there's any work involved!" I said. I wanted to enjoy it like a man with no messy clean-up jobs afterward. I told her I would take her out, my treat.

Margaret was surprised to say the least when I drove her to the hospital cafeteria for our holiday dinner.

"Hey, the food is delicious and it's cheaper than a restaurant," I explained. "Plus they have a wonderful assortment of desserts, not just boring ole pumpkin pie."

"Well I've eaten in hospital cafeterias, before," Margaret replied. "Remember I am a doctor. But it never occurred to me to go to one for a holiday meal."

"If you don't like it," I said, "next time we can go to one of those churches in town offering a free Thanksgiving dinner. For you, I'll put up with the preaching!"

Two years later, Margaret was again joining me for Thanksgiving. This time I promised to treat her to an actual restaurant. It was a popular local establishment that was noted for it's cuisine and affordable prices. I made a reservation.

As soon as we stepped inside, Margaret started loudly complaining it was too dark! After we sat down, she complained she couldn't read the menu due to the dim lighting. Also her coffee was too cold! There were other complaints as well. For a minute I thought my father had risen from the grave! I told her to be quiet or they would be spitting in her food! The waitresses were all giving me sympathetic looks. They probably thought she was my bitchy mother!

I usually enjoy Margaret's company, but I discovered that I prefer to spend my holidays alone.

After awhile, the Thanksgiving dinners at the hospital cafeteria became too crowded, noisy and routine. So I decided to stay in and enjoy my home. I decorated the big dining room table under the chandelier. I brought out the fancy lace tablecloth & place settings, also my good china. Plus frozen food had become better than ever!

Right in my grocer's freezer I found delectable stuffed chicken breasts and fish, seasoned mashed potatoes already prepared, vegetables with sauces, everything easy to fix! Not to mention lots of tasty appetizers from which to choose. Plus I had a garage freezer filled with pastries from the bakery. -- An exotic feast fit for an empress! And afterward, as I enjoy action flicks on my DVR, Mr. Dishwasher does the dishes. -- It just doesn't get any better!

No comments:

Post a Comment