And then
there’s Spam, but I’ve already done plenty of blogging about that. This is
something different, but equally despicable!
Being an
independent author, I don’t have a publisher behind me to promote my work. But
my phone rings constantly from scammers ready to pick up this slack. Every time
I release a new book I’ve been told it’s so special or outstanding that it will
be featured prominently at a book festival in some exotic part of the world. –
Yeah sure!
One scammer offered
to turn a novel of mine into a movie, -- but I was expected to pay for it! I
told them they had me confused with the new billion-dollar lottery winner and
hung up!
And then
there was the scammer who pretended to be from Paramount Pictures who informed
me that this same novel was set to become a movie and they wanted to buy all
rights. A red flag shot up when he kept referring to me as Deanna. My name is
Dianne.
Also, on my
Facebook author page I’ve received messages from so-called other authors who claimed
to love a novel of mine so much they want to help me promote it. “Oh my publicist
is wonderful and she has helped me tremendously,” they say.
I tell them
I’ve hired publicists in the past who made big promises, but all they did was
take my money. I wasn’t interested! They insist theirs are different. And no
matter how hard I try, they refuse to change the subject. I end up blocking
them! – I strongly suspect they ARE the publicist trying to drum up work.
Recently, I
discovered a call on my answering machine from a podcaster who wanted to promote
my latest novel: A Balmy Winter on Topaz Waters. The call stank of phish, so I
deleted it.
Next day, I
received an email from this same podcaster praising my novel in gushing terms
along with a fluffy romantic synopsis.
I emailed
back inquiring if they’d actually read my novel. Despite the sound of the title,
it wasn’t a dreamy romance any more than The Silence of the Lambs was about a
shepherd who sang lullabies to his flock!
So, I was
expected to promote it as something it isn’t. – Not happening!
This is the
reason I rarely answer my phone anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment