-->

Thursday, March 21, 2024

CARDED

 

Hey I'm old school I love cards, sending is as much fun as receiving! I decorate the backs with colorful stickers and the front with commemorative stamps. Every holiday from Halloween thru Easter friends & relatives receive them. Not to mention birthdays, congrats, get well & thank you ones. Miss Manners would be proud!

And this year both St. Patrick's Day and Easter fall in March as well as my brother's birthday.

For years I bought boxes of various assortments in bulk at a discount from a stationery company. Later I bought them from Dollar Stores two for a dollar. Now they're a dollar each plus the price of postage has become obscene just like the price of everything else!

Once I mailed out a plethora of them! These days the majority of recipients are dead. Plus I don't get out enough anymore to acquire new friends. Facebook has become my social life, and Facebook friends are more like fleeting acquaintances.

Yes, digital cards & GIFs are fun. They can sparkle and dance. But I can't put those on the mantle over my fireplace to enjoy. And the thrill is gone of discovering them in a drawer years later and enjoying them all over again with memories.

Receiving a card in the mail somehow feels more special. Sadly, I fear that soon this practice will be as obsolete as the Model T automobile.


No comments:

Post a Comment