-->

Thursday, June 1, 2023

SURGING SUMMER SENSATIONS

 

Long lazy sun filled days, picnics on the beach, boat rides, sleepovers with friends, movie matinees and lots of free time to enjoy; all of this harkens back to summers past.

I recall fun in the surf and speeding thru the waves down the St. Lucie River into the inlet and out into the vastness of the ocean. Memories come surging forth along with all the wondrous flavors; pink lemonade, pizza, popcorn, cream soda, not to mention ice cream, ice cream, & more ice cream!

Television was filled with reruns. So we'd take long leisurely evening walks filled with silly conversations and laughter. Or we'd all pile into the car and go for a drive into town and beyond. Once you left the city limits back then the pitch darkness stretched on for miles. It was scary but in a fun sort of way.

Many of our family vacations were spent in the mountains where the summer temperatures were cooler and more pleasant than here in Florida. I loved Gatlinburg, Tennessee! It seemed like a big carnival town and was lots of fun!

Also we stopped at all the touristy attractions along the way in many different states. Summer was the most wonderful time of the year during my childhood and teens.

Deep within me I longed for a miracle hoping that September would never arrive. September meant school and all it entailed. The very thought filled me with anxiety and dread. And September still does, only for a different reason. It's the beginning of peak hurricane season!

Nowadays summer just feels like long months of sweaty hot, miserable, bug-infested days with high electric bills made worse due to hellacious global warming. And the older I get the less tolerance I have for heat. Florida is too hot anyway. It does get chilly here, but rarely and my central heating has been restored.

These days it's winter I wish would last forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment