-->

Sunday, June 16, 2019

FLUSTERED, FRUSTRATED, FLUMMOXED, & ANGRY


If you know me at all, then you realize that I'm a cavewoman when it comes to technology! And I mean a Cro-Magnon NOT a Neanderthal, although I have been known to grunt when I eat.

So far this year, I've lost my ATT bundle 3 different times!!! I mean NO PHONE, TV, or INTERNET!!! The 1st occurred earlier in the year and affected everyone in the neighborhood. The last 2 happened only to me; during the middle of May and early June.

Since I have only a landline and no cellphone this really left me in a pickle. I had no way of contacting ATT to report it.

Back in May, I walked over to my friend Marie's house. She & her husband Ed are snowbirds. They were preparing to leave for the north the very next day. Marie walked back to my house with me & we called ATT from her cellphone. They insisted I had a bad modem. The best appointment they could schedule was in 2 days. Ugh!

In the meantime, Ed followed us over. He told me, "ATT is bullshitting you! There is nothing wrong with your modem. The problem has to be somewhere outside."

I thanked them and wished them a safe trip. My next 2 days were nothing short of miserable!!!

Two days later when I saw the ATT truck pull up I was ready to throw confetti and celebrate. Ed was right. I was informed the problem was in the box at the entrance of the subdivision. Yet I was the only one who lost their connection.

My ATT bill arrived and I nearly had a stroke! I had an existing arrangement with them that wasn't supposed to expire until the end of June. They disagreed! I have been with ATT for 10 years now and was turned over to something called "The Loyalty Group". I was assured by someone named Victor that my bill would return to the previous rate for another year.

When my next bill arrived it was $25 higher! Naturally I complained!

This time, I got some woman in Texas who couldn't connect me to Victor, but said she'd look into it. I was informed that my bundle price didn't rise, only the taxes did. -- Victor neglected to inform me of this and it's hardly a minor detail!

However, my bill should have been $5 cheaper, she said. I complained about my 2 miserable days without service and demanded to be compensated for it. She agreed to take $11 off for this. I asked for an email confirmation. I've yet to receive one! However I did check my credit card statement and the deduction was there.

Now we come to June 1. Again, I lost EVERYTHING at 9:45 that evening!!!

The next morning shortly after 11:00 AM, I drove a couple blocks around the corner to my friend Irene's house. Irene is elderly, hard of hearing, and likes to sleep late. I walked around the back of her place, waved and called out with no response.

As I walked back to the front a neighbor walking his dog came by and inquired who I was. After I explained, he banged on Irene's door with no response. He was kind enough to let me use his cellphone to call my friend Rose who agreed to meet me back at my house.

Thanks to Rose, I got hold of ATT. I wanted the earliest possible appointment! Even if it was 4:00 AM I'd set my alarm clock!

Around 11:30 AM the following day a repairman arrived. I asked if ATT was deliberately trying to lose me as a customer.

"I don't know, maybe," he replied.

That was the wrong answer as well as a stupid one. And you can be sure I won't forget it!

This time, I was told the problem was with the device in the woods out back. Well knock-on-wood, let's hope this doesn't happen again anytime soon!

I know I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't own a cellphone. However the reception in this neighborhood is bad. Also I have no family, and my friends all contact me via email. Plus all these emergencies shouldn't be happening this often!

Yesterday, after returning from grocery shopping, I found a Comcast/Infinity card on my front door. I left them 10 years ago for ATT Uverse. This was done for valid reasons, in fact a long list of them! Perhaps they've improved in the last decade, or perhaps not. I'm shopping around, we'll see!

For sure, I don't want any damn satellite attached to my house! Too many friends who have one complain the picture goes out every time it rains or the wind kicks up. And Florida summers tend to be stormy. Not to mention we are now into hurricane season.

No comments:

Post a Comment