-->

Friday, February 1, 2019

NO VALENTINES, JUST LANDMINES & MONKEYSHINES


Ah February, month of romance!

On LinkedIn recently I was being wooed by another would-be Romeo. I've done this dance before with other men on the site. It has never ended well.

This particular guy asked me out once before back in 2012. It was right after I came out as asexual. I had just joined AVEN (Asexual Visibility & Education Network). I turned him down for this reason. -- Now there is a classification of asexuals who enjoy romance and being courted, I forget what they are called because I am NOT one of those.

As before, he was throwing all his charm my way. I reminded him of my age, (usually a turn-off to my would-be suitors) I was turning 68 in just 2 days. And yes, my LinkedIn photo is recent; it was taken shortly before my 65th birthday. He was also 68 and forwarded a picture. Like me, he was youthful looking for his years.

He asked what I thought of his photo. I replied "Very nice" I was being polite. Never did I say he was handsome or that I was attracted to him, but he perceived this that way!

I reminded him that I'm asexual (which I thought he understood) and that I wasn't attracted to men. -- Would he rather I lied and strung him along???

As with the other men, he suddenly and abruptly ceased all communication.

I found this rude, but it was revealing. He was only interested in me for one reason and there is so much more to me than that! It was insulting. Plus there were more gracious ways to depart. And god forbid, no man is interested in a mere friendship!

However as I stated earlier, I've done this dance before. So I wasn't surprised.

Back in 2012 when he first contacted me, I had long red hair. I'm wondering now if he thought I was two different women. The next time I change my hair and update my photo I'm wondering if he'll be bothering me again. Or perhaps he'll do me a favor and drop me from his LinkedIn contacts.

Of course I could do that to him, but he's not worth the time, effort, or energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment