-->

Saturday, January 13, 2018

REFLECTING ON MY COLLECTING


Last spring, my friend Marie phoned to borrow a hat for a fancy dress-up event she was attending.

"What style and color?" I asked. "I've got you covered, whatever," I told her.

"I knew I came to the right person!"  She chuckled.

And indeed she did! Marie was pleased with the hat I lent her. Also I offered to lend her a pair of matching lace gloves, but she declined.

I've purchased many elegant hats in perfect condition in Thrift or Consignment stores. However the one I lent Marie I bought on sale at Walmart. It had been a favorite of mine when my hair was red.

Last decade, I attended lots of formal Teas. But these accessories also made wonderful props for my speeches at Business Networking events. Besides, I LOVE hats!

And speaking of Teas, I collect teapots. Over the years I've acquired a variety of styles there, too! I have one that looks like a magic lamp, another a pumpkin, also a pineapple, one covered in vegetables, several in flowers, one with a butterfly handle, another featuring jungle animals, 2 Chinese, 1 Japanese, 1 that resembles a German stein, a huge colorful 1 shaped in Moroccan style , and many, many more! My prettiest ones are on my kitchen counter. I call them my parade of teapots.

Also I collect Faerie memorabilia along with pretty glass & ceramic eggs. Little faeries are scattered all over my house!

On my kitchen wall over the breakfast table I have a reproduction of the famous faerie painting Summer's Eve. It's directly across from the bay window looking thru the porch and onto my backyard. The view could be an extension of this scene. This picture was the first item I bought for the house with my own money. My father thought it a needless, impulsive purchase until he saw how well it fit in.

On a trip to a Thrift Store with a friend, we saw a collection of owls; ceramic, glass, & carved ones, numerous shelves of them; owls, owls, and more owls of all size and variety!

"Someone was a major collector and died!" my friend exclaimed. "Just look at all of those!"

"And their relatives probably were eager to dispose of them," I added. -- Well, that got me to thinking about the fate of MY precious collections after I'm gone.

Back in my 20's I started collecting unusual costume jewelry. All of these items are quite lovely! At age 40, I thought I'd leave them to the daughter of a close friend in High School, in memory of our friendship despite the fact our friendship deteriorated shortly after we started Junior College together.

Later, I happened to see a photo of her daughter in the newspaper along with an interview. (She won a major athletic completion!) Well, she was the most masculine looking and sounding 15 year old girl you could ever imagine! The only things missing from her photo were a spiked dog collar, a tattoo, and a cigar in her mouth! If that's her thing, whoopee for her, but it didn't solve my problem. She obviously was not the type to appreciate my jewelry!

Anyway, I've since legally willed my hats, jewelry, and accessories to the local Theatre Guild. One problem solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment