-->

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

BUGS ARE SWARMING IN THE GLOBAL WARMING


Again, it's the summer of the ants! They're descending upon me like a biblical scourge. Carpenter ants are gigantic in comparison to other ants, and worse they fly! They appear immediately after dark like vampires. Their favorite landing spots are my TV screen and my body. My hand vacuum has become my best friend!

This reminds me of the scene from War of the Worlds where the aliens vacuum up people. The following morning I'm always surprised to find them still alive as I empty my vacuum in the garbage. But they don't stay that way for long, heh heh heh!

And like those humans, these ants fight back! While seated in my recliner and trying to watch TV I've had them fly straight for my eye more than once. They're attacking me methodically! I swear insects will one day rule the planet!  They're just waiting for our species to blown itself up!

Carpenter ants are the opposite of butterflies and similar to fallen angels. They start out with wings, eventually lose them and end up living underground. Often I find their wings shed on my furniture and carpets.

This isn't my first rodeo with these critters! They show up when rotting wood on the outside my house needs replacing. Well, I've recently had it replaced, yet the problem persists. Professional help is required and a man is arriving today. It appears they're getting in thru the top of my Cathedral ceiling. I sure hope the guy has a high ladder!

Tiny sugar ants were also invading my kitchen and pantry. Terro failed to attract them this time. Apparently the stuff has a brief shelf life! Vinegar & Baking Soda which are supposed to work don’t do a damn thing! (I learned this previously, even blogged about it.) Insecticide always works, but I'm probably shortening my own life every time I spray.

The first cool spell always solves my ant problems, but this is August and I live in Florida!!!

Insects have a habit of taking up residence on the outside of my home, too! Upon my front door was a large sunburst decoration and hidden just underneath was a large nest of hornets. Anyone knocking on my door was in for an unpleasant surprise! However, it happened to be election season with lots of unwelcome political campaigners, so I let it be. The hornets also took care of Jehovah’s Witnesses, too. Of course I was stung a few times myself, but the pain was worth it!

The summer monsoons had taken their toll last year. After Hurricane Matthew, my house was pressure cleaned to remove mold. The cleaner summoned me outside. He pointed up! Directly under the high peak of my 2 story roof was a giant mutant mushroom from outer space! At least that's what it looked like to me! We didn't know what it was! It also resembled the Opera House in Australia's Sydney Harbor and was nearly as huge.

A neighbor said it was a beehive. Well that explained a lot! Frequently, I'd been removing bees from the inside of my home. One even went down my blouse. I was left with a sting that made me appear to have grown another nipple! Thank goodness I'm not allergic or I'd be dead, now!

The beehive was in the exact spot where bats infested my wall and bred 10 years ago. And like bats, bees are an endangered species. But my house was scheduled to be painted and rotting wood replaced, so they needed to be gone. I tried to do the right thing and have the hive relocated, rather than destroyed.

A professional beekeeper was summoned. He said relocating was impossible, but the hive was nearing the end of its cycle anyway. I watched him put on his protective gear and climb to the high peak of my home. He sprayed the hive with insecticide and then tore it down. I felt a little sick inside watching.

I gave him the bat house which I went to much trouble and expense to order and erect. But the thing had proved ineffectual and ended up stashed in my garage. It had been taking up space for years now.

I love my home, but if I could go back in time, I'd never want one constructed of wood. It's the worst material for Florida! However both my father and I fell in love immediately with the architecture and layout. Even today, after all these years when I step thru the door, this place still takes my breath away!

No comments:

Post a Comment