-->

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

HOTEL BOOTY & THE LONG NECKED WOMEN


As exhausted as I was, I didn’t get much sleep. I was kept awake by loud, unsettling jungle noises that sounded as if they were right in my room!

Early the next AM, I scoured my luggage for more sacrificial items to lighten the load. I wanted to avoid paying another high airline fine. I removed a heavy plastic bag. It was filled with shampoos, conditioners, hand lotions, & soaps I’d collected from the hotels and resorts. I would give these to the hill tribe, today.

I left my room early. The guide was already standing half-way down the path waiting for me. The morning chill was still in the air, but it got hot fast, here. Another busy, eventful day awaited me.

First up, another elephant ride! This Elephant Camp was more typical of the ones in Northern Thailand than in Chiang Mai. These elephants didn’t do tricks, dance, or paint pictures. I was told mine was the only ride scheduled for that day.

Well, it certainly was a wilder ride than in Chiang Mai! After climbing the little bamboo tower and mounting the elephant, I placed my feet directly on the elephant’s back. In Chiang Mai there was a platform for my feet. And here, no one was selling bananas & sugar cane for the elephants. But at least there was no baby chained to its mother as the previous one.

Like Chiang Mai, the ride lasted an hour, but was not as pleasant. We seemed to be blazing a trail thru the mountain jungle rather than following one. I raised my arm to prevent a large branch from hitting me in the face. It was full of thorns; my hand was now oozing blood! I reached for the Kleenex in my purse.

Large red ants were all over the branches & leaves! I was getting bitten over much of my body as I brushed them off me as well as the elephant’s back. They even got under my clothes! I was glad when this ride was over!

After the elephant ride, I boarded a long-tailed boat (my 3rd this trip) on the Pai River to visit the hill tribe of the Long Neck Women.

“This, the Kayan Lahwi tribe came from Myanmar (Burma),” said the guide as we stepped ashore. The border was so close, we could walk there from where we stood, but he wasn’t allowed to take me.

“Do not feel sorry for the women because they are proud of the heavy brass coils adorning their neck,” the guide stated. “Besides, the coils protect them from tiger bites, since the big cats always go for the jugular.”

I told him the tigers would then probably just rip off their face, or some other part of their body. I inquired as to why they didn’t coil the necks of the men, why is it only the women who are disfigured?

“Men are descended from the wind,” he explained. “Women are descended from the dragon. The many coils give them a dragon-like appearance.” -- To me, the stretched necks gave more of a giraffe-like appearance. Plus those heavy coils depress both the collar bone and rib cage. It looked anything but comfortable!

As we entered the village, I noticed brass coils under the women’s knees, as well. Even little girls who looked about 5 years old were wearing these along with heavy coils around their neck.

The guide & I began passing around the items in my bag. I took photos. Also I did more shopping; including a large beautifully embroidered bag to use as my carry-on.

Inside the village was a Catholic church with a Madonna. It looked strangely out of place. “The people of this tribe are Catholic, not Buddhist; thanks to missionaries,” the guide explained.

After we departed, I was taken to a fish cave. The mouth was below a long elevated wooden walkway in the jungle. Beforehand, the guide had purchased a head of cabbage. As we stood overlooking the mouth of the cave, he handed it to me. I tore off pieces, tossing them to the multitude of carp swimming below.

From there, I was driven to another restaurant with fans whirling overhead for a late lunch. To my surprise, I was the only diner there. The guide said he’d pick me up in an hour and we’d go straight to the airport.

“I’ll eat fast,” I told him. “I need time to find my gate.”

 “Take your time,” he replied. “The airport is close; it’s small and has only ONE gate.”

Nevertheless, airports are a source of stress and aggravation for valid reasons. And this was just the first of TWO flights ahead today within hours of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment