-->

Friday, July 17, 2015

SAWATDEE TO YOU, TOO


Since I’m planning to relocate, there’s a new language in my future. The issue is, I don’t know which one, yet. So I’m trying to learn a few phrases of each before I visit.

Already, I know a useful one in Thai, “Rawang rot!” which means “Beware car!” – I believe I’ve mentioned Third World drivers in my previous blog postings.

Thai is the more difficult language because it’s tonal. Unknowingly you could offend some nice Thai people using incorrect ones. For example, one could walk into a restaurant and say: “I’ll have the jumbo fish platter with rice balls” and it could come out: “Your fat grandmother stinks, how much to ball her.”

Perhaps I’d do better wowing them with my charades!

 I really need to memorize, “Mai khao jai” which means “I don’t understand.” Also “Ga roo naa phuut chaa naawy” meaning “Please speak slowly”

While in Bangkok, a useful phrase to remember is, “Khoon bpen phuu chaa naawy” which means “Are you a man or a woman?” -- That thought has come up a few times here in Vero Beach, too!

Anyway, I’ve got until 2016 to work on Thai. However, my Ecuador trip is coming up fast.

Besides the Spanish/English dictionary I purchased at a Dollar Store, I found 2 books on Spanish at a Thrift Shop; Berlitz Basic Spanish & Madrigal’s Magic Key To Spanish with original illustrations by Andy Warhol. The latter sounded more fun so I’m reading that one first. Still, it’s a whole lot to remember!

Many Spanish words are so similar to English that you might understand a small part of what is said if spoken slowly, but Hispanics don’t speak slowly. Their speech is rapid fire! I will be constantly asking, “Puede repetir,” or “Could you repeat.”

One Spanish phrase I’ve long known is the same everyone seems to know, “Que hora es?”, or “What time is it?” Why most North Americans know this one is a mystery to me. Perhaps it’s because we’re always rushed.

Second Grade Elementary school is when I first heard it. A Spanish instructor who was a friend of our teacher came to speak and teach us tykes a few phrases of the language. That phrase and only that one  stuck in my mind, maybe it’s just an easy one to remember.

However, when visiting a Spanish speaking country, one crucial phrase everyone SHOULD know is, “Donde esta el bano?” meaning, “Where’s the bathroom?” -- I believe I read someplace that there are no public restrooms in Ecuador. Yikes, I’d better pack a box of Depends!

Another important one is, “Peligro automovil!” which means, “Danger car!” Did I mention that I plan to give up driving after I move to the Third World. 

I think it’s arrogant to live in a foreign country and not bother to learn the language. I just hope I’m not dead before I become fluent.

No comments:

Post a Comment