-->

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

YADA, YADA, YAKETY YAK!


Over the summer, I encountered 2 different women who seemed eager to be my friend. However, I did NOT feel likewise about them! Both were the type who began relating their entire life’s history seconds after saying hello.

If they had just held back a bit, I might have found their conversations interesting. But it was just WAY too much information overload at one time! And worse, we weren’t having a conversation. I was just sitting and listening to their non-stop talk. They didn’t even seem to take time to breathe. In order to get a word in edgewise, I had to interrupt. And I do not like to interrupt people, but sometimes you are forced, just to get away from them.

My good friends Rose, Sue & Marie are NOTHING like this! Marie told me they were probably just really lonely.

I do NOT like lonely people! I myself am alone, however at any given moment; I can think of 10 things I want to do vs. 10 things that need doing. There’s no room for boredom or loneliness.

To be honest, I don’t like MOST people, period!

As a writer, I can spend an entire day struggling with just 1 page! Perhaps Hemingway, Dickens, Melly Nofal, or other more talented writers require few re-writes. But nothing comes natural or easily to me. I need lots and lots of re-writes!

After I think my work is finally perfect, I can rest. But the next day after a read-over, I wonder what I was thinking! This character would never react that way in this situation! Ugh, back to the top, again!

I know the creative process is uninteresting to other people. When someone at a social event asks what I’ve been up to, I don’t want to say, “Well, I spent all day yesterday working on page 47 and still couldn’t get it right.” I’m at a loss for words! So, I just say, “Nothing.”

Believe me; no one hates to socialize more than I do! Small talk bores me and most people have nothing to say that I’m interested in hearing. So, I just smile and pretend to listen while my mind is light years away in another dimension as they blather on.

Remember this, after the food is served, mouths are for eating NOT talking!!!

Never, will I forget a luncheon I attended during the last decade; I sat with 3 other women. They were about 20 years my senior. As they yammered on, they all sounded like the same person with 3 heads. And mine was about to explode from listening to them!

As a writer, my characters are often composites of several different people, similar, yet different enough to add depth and nuance. These 3 old women sounded so identical, it was downright creepy!

Recently, at a social event, I sat with a couple of age 20 somethings. Soon after seating themselves, they pulled out their texting devices. I found myself starring at the top of their heads. Yes, I thought they were rude! Apparently this is the wave of the future. But at least I was spared having to smile and pretend to be interested. Guess there’s a positive side to everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment