-->

Friday, May 16, 2014

ONLINE CRACK


I am an older woman who came to computers late. I can’t do any slick maneuvers on the contraption like the young folks can. Compared to them I’m computer illiterate. I’m hardly a high-tech person. Yet, the computer has taken over my life!

I log on 4 different times a day “just to check my email” for 10 or 15 minutes. That’s what I tell myself. But of course it’s never JUST that! Always there’s news or interesting articles I feel compelled to read, with links to more things that intrigue me.

Of course I MUST check my timeline on Facebook! Plus I feel guilty if I don’t look at the pages of people who actually take the time to like my postings. Always, I find plenty of videos to check out, either cute animals or entertaining humans. Then I’ll spot something I want to share on my page, which changes the entire flow, so now I’m busy redecorating! Before I know it, several hours have passed! I find myself wondering how it got so late so fast!

I have vowed never again to do this late in the evening before bedtime; otherwise it’s well after midnight when I finally make it to bed. And I’m an early riser! Also this is when the lonely men are on and they want to chat. I am not lonely, neither am I interested in conversation.

Late afternoons, I used to enjoy reading either books or magazines. Now, it seems all the reading I do is on my computer!

I’m ashamed I’ve let this contraption run my life this way! There will be plenty of time for me to enjoy a computer when I’m an invalid in a nursing home. While I still have my health, I should be out enjoying my life; either with friends or alone rather than wasting so much time in front of a screen. This machine is stealing the little time I have left on this planet.

On the other hand, I’m less likely to be spending money behind my computer. Sure, sometimes I’ll spot a trendy jacket or cute pair of sandals I can’t live without, but my online purchases are mostly needs rather than impulsive ones. – The reason I’m avoiding the mall these days!

However, I should go computer cold turkey one day a week just to clean my house. When it comes to anything domestic I’ve never been June Cleaver. I’m closer to loony June with a cleaver! My house is getting so dusty I really need to step it up in this area.

Life has changed drastically in so many ways since my youth.

To keep things in perspective, as a child I’d notice adults playing bridge, bingo, or shuffleboard. I used to look on them with pity and vowed never to be like that when I grew up.

Back in the 1970’s, (I was in my 20’s) I spent an evening in the home of an elderly friend. (She was around my current age!) Friends came over and we played board games. Everyone around me was laughing, whooping, and having a grand ole time. I wished I was watching TV! CHARLIE’S ANGELS was on and I was missing it. Sure it was a re-run, but it had to be better than this. These antiquated games should be re-named BORED games! After all they were created to entertain way before the invention of TV.

In retrospect, all the people mentioned above were fully there in the moment embracing life! They weren’t getting drunk or high, it was good clean fun and they were clearly enjoying themselves.

I’ve known others who love working crossword puzzles or crocheting. Admittedly these activities don’t float my boat!

Speaking of boats, I’ve been ocean fishing and I found it as tedious as watching plants grow. This was back when the waters were so full of fish you couldn’t help but catch some. Still, it failed to excite me.

I’ve never understood how people can get excited over a sports game. Basically, it’s grown men getting overpaid to play a little boys game. Yet many live for this.

And I’ve known plenty of women who live to date. I’ve always found it to be over-rated. I have tons more fun going out with my gal-pals!

Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a good time. Just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean someone else will.

I watched a video online bemoaning the fact that people are so hooked on their devices that they’re missing out on so many other things. -- Obviously, nothing that interests them or they would be doing those things, instead.

As for me, I’m trying to wean myself away from Facebook and spend time on more productive activities. Easier said than done, I’ve become an addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment