-->

Friday, February 8, 2013

A TRUE FEMME FATALE

My friend Margaret led the most interesting and eventful existence of anyone I have ever known. The LIFETIME channel could make at least 7 TV movies based on her alone. Two men killed themselves because they couldn't have her. I'm not speaking figuratively, I mean literally dirt-nap dead!

We had just finished watching a movie about a stalker when Margaret announced she had been shot by a former love. It happened decades ago.

"Please don't spring a new ex-husband on me!" I expostulated.

"No, we just dated. I broke up with him and he didn't handle it well." She sighed.

My curiosity had been aroused. "Don't stop there, give me details," I urged.

"I've never even told my daughter about this. Carly was just a baby," Margaret reluctantly continued. "This happened back when I was taking some night classes. Roger showed up in the parking lot just as I was getting ready to drive home. My car door opened and he jumped into the passenger side with a shotgun and a briefcase."

"That must have been terrifying!" I interjected.

"He ordered me to drive home and pick-up Carly. That's when I threw my car keys out the window! We sat in the car and argued for a long time. I tried to reason with Roger. Meanwhile, my mother phoned Jim, my current boyfriend, she was concerned because I was late. Jim later became my husband."

"You were smart to toss the car keys," I said.

"When I saw Jim, I jumped out of the car and stood next to him. Crazy Roger fired his shotgun at Jim, but hit me instead. When he saw me on the pavement vomiting blood, he killed himself with his shotgun. Police later found rope and duct tape in his briefcase."

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "I can picture it all so vividly.

Several years later, during another visit, Margaret mentioned a boyfriend whom she planned to drop after returning home. "He stated he loved me on our very 1st date and seriously proposed marriage."

I had a similar experience myself. I did not feel likewise, so I understood Margaret's feelings. "You know what they say about older men who are anxious to marry," I reminded, "they're looking for either a nurse or a purse."

"Ethan doesn't seem to have a lot. Plus he's so eager and needy," Margaret continued. "He claimed his last wife never slept with him. Can you imagine?"

"Maybe she didn't like the way he looked naked," I replied.

Later, the phone rang just as we said "Good Night". Margaret was already half-way down the stairs. "Do you always get calls this late?" she inquired.

"Only wrong numbers!" I replied as I answered the phone. "Guess who? Margaret, it's your boyfriend."

"I told Ethan only to call in an emergency." She shook her head in disgust as I handed her the receiver. They talked for what seemed like 40 minutes. "He was lonely for the sound of my voice! The guy's so clingy. I've got to end this soon," Margaret declared.

A month later, Margaret phoned me from Orlando. She was quite upset. "Ethan commit suicide!" she exclaimed. "It's all my fault! I wasn't kind when we broke up. I really let him have it! I should have been more compassionate."

"The man was unstable," I pointed out. "It was just a matter of time, it would have happened eventually no matter what. I tried to assure her it was not her fault!

"You weren't there!" her voice rose. "I will always carry this guilt."

2009 Margaret passed into my history. She was an individual unlike any other! I miss the light and color she added to my life. To me, Margaret was a rare a stormy-weather friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment