-->

Saturday, October 12, 2024

UGH!!! NOOOOOO!!!

 

A monster hurricane suddenly formed in the Gulf and was heading straight toward us with only days’ notice.

Two weeks before I’d had a particularly hectic day, so a childhood favorite seemed perfect for supper that night. I picked up a can of Campbell’s Tomato Brisque. Along with it I made a toasted cheese sandwich and prepared a salad.

With my first spoonful of soup all I could taste was SALT!!! It was as if someone poured an entire shaker in! It tasted downright gaggy! In retrospect, I should have poured it down the sink. But I was hungry, plus I have an aversion to wasting food.

Perhaps it’s just coincidence or maybe a pre-existing condition was aggravated, but the next day I noticed my right foot & ankle was swollen and my left one was tingling up into the calve.

I had one Frankenstein foot. And worse, this wasn’t going away! Plus the heel of my right foot felt as if it had hot broken glass under the skin.

How could I ever wear shoes? The right one would never fit! And if I struggled to force it, I’d be limping in agony!

This brought back vivid memories.

During my trip to Ecuador, I endured TWO Frankenstein feet up in the Andes. Those flat-heeled walking shoes I bought that were perfect for a day at the mall were murder to my feet on those cobble stone streets.

Over in the Galapagos Islands I purchased an oversized pair of flip-flops that allowed me to explore with more comfort. I ended up wearing these on the plane ride home. And I felt self-conscious about it.

Later on my trip to Thailand, I was horrified when my feet & ankles swelled on the plane before even landing in Bangkok. And this time I’d purchased better walking shoes, too! The sides of these shoes were bulging just like in Ecuador. I was in torturous pain!

Half-way thru my tour of Thailand, both my calves swelled as well. I could no longer recognize my own legs in the mirror!

Once on the plane I went barefoot until it landed. This was back in 2016.

Fast-forward to October 2024. A doctor put me on medication and I was forbidden to eat anything from a can, bag, or box for 5 days. Plus, I had to drink so much water I felt waterlogged. Half that time I was cat-sitting. The medication made me tired and loopy. I was thankful to get off it.

The last day of my cat-sitting stint the hurricane was all over the news warning everyone here on the Treasure Coast to prepare. This was a backdoor one and I wasn’t sure if it was going to land as a full-fledged hurricane or a nasty tropical storm.

FPL sent emails stating to expect a prolonged outage. That meant I’d be living on canned food which was forbidden to me just the week before. And the thought of throwing away all that expensive food in my fridge & freezer made me ill, so I started eating frozen dinners for breakfast and dinner.

My right foot & ankle began swelling again.

The afternoon before the hurricane was wild! Record tornadoes were striking all over South Florida! These were not Florida tornadoes, but giant ones like in Kansas that took Dorothy to Oz!

The one that came thru here was worse than the hurricane! I’ve had plenty of experience with hurricanes, but none with tornadoes!

It was followed by torrential rain. The street in front of my house became a canal. By 8:00 AM the following day the hurricane had passed and thankfully I still had electricity.

Every yard in my neighborhood looked like a disaster area. But it could have been much worse, I am so grateful it wasn’t. I can live with a swollen foot & ankle.


No comments:

Post a Comment