-->

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

SINGERS & A MEMORY

 

I’ll venture a guess that most of the younger generation have never heard of Connie Francis, although she was quite a popular singer, actress and celebrity when I was a child. I enjoyed her as an actress, along with her movies. She was a petite woman with a powerful voice. And she possessed a vibrant personality that exuded genuine warmth. But when it came to singers, I was more of a Leslie Gore fan.

Back then, it seemed every time I turned on the radio Leslie was belting out: “It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to!” I loved bopping around to that song and Leslie sang it with gusto. I often joined in with my shrill off-key voice.

Leslie’s songs were geared to young teens & pre-teens like me. Connie’s were for an older, more sophisticated crowd.

By the mid 1960’s both singers’ popularity was on the wane. The public’s taste had changed, and they were being replaced by rock groups. However, Connie & Leslie still had their fans.

Fast forward to the 1974, I was shocked and saddened to learn that Connie Francis was raped at knife point in a hotel room after being awakened from sleep. She sued the hotel chain, stating faulty locks. She won! But the large amount was not enough in my opinion. No woman should have to endure that!

Her attacker was never caught.

But I dispute the faulty lock, based on a personal incident.

During my elementary school years, Miami was almost my home away from home. My parents loved the shopping & nightlife there. So, we spent at least one weekend a month there.

I was too young for the nightlife, and I found the shopping tedious, so I spent much of the time cooped up in a motel room. At night, my parents didn’t usually return until long after midnight.

One evening, they were exhausted and decided to stay in. We went to bed around 11:00 PM. About twenty minutes later while still awake, I heard a key turning in the lock. Suddenly light from outside came streaming in. A heavy-set man in a suit entered.

My father hollered out, “You’re in the wrong room!”

The man mumbled an apology and hastily departed.

What unnerved me most was the stranger’s key fit our lock, making it easy for him to enter. I began to wonder if all motel/hotel locks & keys were secretly interchangeable. I doubt Connie Francis lock was faulty, any more than ours!

And I was fortunate that my parents decided to stay-in that night.


No comments:

Post a Comment